Friday, September 11, 2015

This Week's Meal Plan

This week I'm returning to the diet my naturopathic doctor put me on to help with my migraines for the next 3 months. When I was on it before it really did seem to help and I've really struggled health-wise lately so I'm hoping I'll start to once again feel better but I completely fell of the wagon. If I find that after 3 months things are once again improved, then this diet will be permanent for me.

 I dislike eating this way but I also dislike feeling like crap. So for the next 3 months, no dairy, gluten or refined sugar or any kind. My husband and son will be eating the same main meals but they will still have some lunches and snacks that are outside of my dietary restrictions.

One of the biggest challenges with eating this way (besides craving ice cream basically all the time) is that it's really rough on our grocery budget. I've really tried to keep costs down for this coming week by using what we already have, picking sale produce (like carrots, sweet potatoes and cucumbers)  and using less expensive ingredients (like ground beef and whole chicken).

So for the first week of this return to eating this way we are having:


- Moroccan Lentil and Vegetable Stew

- Pork and White Beans, Rosemary and Sage with Garlic Lemon Green Beans (pork recipe from Art of the Slow Cooker)

- Tofu Triangles with Nut Sauce with Rice and Veg (exact veg TBD)

- Hamburgers Diane with Roasted Cauliflower (Hamburger recipe from Quick, Thrifty Cooking)

- Chicken and Sausage Fricassee with Sage, Shredded Carrots with Herbs and Lemon, and Whipped Potatoes (main also from Quick, Thrifty Cooking)

- Gluten Free Pasta with Salmon and Dijon 'Cream' (substituting non-dairy plain yogurt for sour cream), Cucumber Salad (pasta recipe adapted from Cheap, Fast, Good)

- Sausage and Sweet Potato Soup with whatever needs eating up


I am also planning to make: instant oatmeal packs (without powdered milk), Cinnamon Raisin Bread, a batch of caramelized onions, a batch of hard-boiled eggs, and making Raw Carrot Cake Bites.

School Lunch mains this week will be:

1. Pasta with homemade Red Sauce (have a bit of sauce leftover in the fridge that needs using up)
2. Ploughman's Lunch with Pepperoni slices, hardboiled egg, pickles, cheese, prosciutto and veg
3. Leftover Moroccan Stew
4. Apple Cream Cheese sandwich on homemade Cinnamon Raisin bread
5. leftover Salmon and Dijon Cream pasta

If you have an awesome thrifty gluten-free, dairy-free super tasty recipe, please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs